For more than 30 years, East Alabama Medical Center has provided a full range of heart services to patients through east Alabama and west Georgia.
Our heart program began in 1985 when Dr. John Mitchell performed the hospital’s first heart catheterization procedure. Two years later, in September 1987, Mr. Bobby Sizemore was the hospital’s first open-heart surgery patient. Drs. David Cleveland and John Garrett performed the procedure on Sizemore, who was actually an EAMC Engineering employee and who had helped install some of the equipment in the cardiovascular operating room (CVOR).
East Alabama Medical Center’s heart program has progressed over the years, and earned several awards along the way. Our full range of services and units includes the following:
- Outpatient Cardiac Observation – Located in the Outpatient Center, this is where patients are cared for prior to and after a heart catheterization
- Cardiac Cath. Lab – The Cath. Lab is also located in the Outpatient Center. It is where our cardiologists perform heart catheterizations as well as insert stents, perform angioplasty and other outpatient procedures.
- Cardiac Special Care (CSC) – Located on the 8th floor, CSC in an inpatient unit where patients are cared for overnight if they need extra care associated with their heart catheterization.
- Cardiovascular Operating Room (CVOR) – Located in the West Pavilion (past the Main Lobby elevators), the CVOR is where our cardiovascular surgeons perform coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), which is more often referred to as open-heart surgery. However, certain patients in need of cardiovascular surgery may be eligible to have their procedure performed with help from the da Vinci robotic system.
- Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU) – Following heart surgery, patients are recovered in the CVICU where specially trained nurses and staff work closely with them to ensure a successful start to the post-surgery process.
- Cardiovascular Stepdown Unit (CVSU) – Once heart patients are healthy enough to leave the CVICU, they are moved to CVSU on the 2nd floor where they continue their recovery until they are ready to return home.
- Cardiac Rehab – About 2-3 weeks after surgery, patients continue the mending process by starting Cardiac Rehab. Typically, patients attend 36 sessions over a 12-week period. The Cardiac Rehab unit is located in the West Pavilion (past the Main Lobby elevators).